Destiny 2 was patched with new changes, tweaks, and additions. The biggest change is a change in how nightfall works. But there are new and exciting additions and tweaks as well. So, what is new?
First up, there are some big changes to the Nightfall Strikes. Both Nightfall types now use a strike scoring system instead of a timer system. Killing enemies, and generating orbs of light will raise your score. There will be a Nightfall emblem that will show your highest score as well for bragging rights.
There is a target score for each nightfall, and scoring over it will activate the nightfall aura and offer bonus tokens to the fire team. The scoring replaces the time for most Nightfalls. This has the bonus of a single player now having a chance to beat a nightfall solo as it will not time out for you.
In addition to strike scoring, the Prestige Nightfall allows for challenge cards. Challenge cards allow players to select modifiers for the Prestige Nightfall that affect gameplay and score multipliers. These cards are actual items that you can earn in regular nightfall and prestige nightfall play. The fire team leader’s cards will affect all members of the fire team.
The cards right now include selecting active Elemental modifiers to boost outgoing and incoming damage. Players can also choose to use a power handicap that will lower their character power level in the Prestige Nightfall but raise the score multiplier. The Extinguish modifier is always on when applying for the Nightfall Challenge Card. If the full fireteam wipes in a respawning restricted area, the fireteam will fail the mission.
The second big thing to be added is Emblem Variants. There are now different emblems that will all track some of the same stats. Additionally, the emblems will now show more things. For example, Victorious Veteran tracks your lifetime Crucible kills and how many of each class you’ve defeated. The Victorious Veteran has six variants: the first three variants are class specific, the last three are unlocked after defeating 1000 of that class in PVP.
There are also Destination Emblems. The Lost Sector Emblems have been changed into Destination Emblems that track Lost Sectors Found, Region Chests Opened, and Ghost Scans Discovered. Each Destination Emblem will have four variants in addition to the default emblem.
Nightfall is getting new Emblems to go along with the scoring system. New Nightfall Emblems exist for each individual Nightfall strike and track your high score in that strike and each Nightfall Emblem has 3 variants in addition to the default emblem, these variants have a chance to drop when you hit a certain score tier and complete the Nightfall. It also activates the nightfall aura if you beat the target score for that nightfall.
Speaking of Auras, the Auras system is getting an overall in the game and will be tied to the emblem system. The Raid Emblem “Glory to The Emperor” tracks total Leviathan clears on Prestige difficulty and unlocks the orange Prestige Raid Aura if you’ve completed a Prestige difficulty raid activity in the last 14 days. The Trials Emblem “You Are Worthy” tracks number of flawless tickets and unlocks the blue Trials Aura if you’ve gone flawlessly in the last 14 days.
The third big news is some general quality of life improvements. Opt-in Text Chat for PC is now available in Social Spaces and Public Areas. This allows for more text chat on the PC if desired. A big feature that people wanted is also live, Fireteam members now appear on Destination Map so you can pick the best fast travel point to join your team to get right into the action!
There were also many other smaller changes in the game:
- Damage Reduction granted by Armor Masterworks while a Super ability is active has been increased from 3% to 5% per armor piece
- Fixed an issue where Ammo Masterworks could decrease the maximum ammo capacity of a weapon
- Fixed an issue where some players would have irretrievable items within the Postmaster
- The Eater of Worlds Raid Lair will now grant Faction Tokens during Faction Rallies events
- The Seeker of Brilliance and Seeker of Opulence perks on the Contender Ghost Shell may now trigger during the Crossing encounter of the Eater of Worlds Raid Lair
- Fixed an issue in Trials of the Nine where players could receive erroneous losses if the opposing team left before match start
- Fixed an issue where players could encounter BAT errors when joining a Mercury Adventure
- Fixed an issue where players were placed facing the wrong direction after dunking an item during public events
- Fixed an issue where the Phoenix Dive Warlock Ability could be used to get out of the intended playspace
- Helm of Saint-14 no longer affects allies when guarding with the Sentinel Shield Super
- The Insurmountable Skullfort Titan Exotic now properly has three stat points
- Projectiles from the Colony Exotic Grenade Launcher properly track enemies on PC when frame rate is set higher than 30 FPS
Overall this is a quality update that brings both new features, quality of life improvements and new fun to Destiny 2. As an avid Destiny player, I am happy with the additions and changes made in this update and cannot wait for more. See you in game Guardian!